The total budget available for each fiscal year shall be set by the Board of Directors at its annual Fall Meeting. More than one grant may be awarded per year. The Board shall review applications for the CHLA/ABSC Research Grant and will award funds based on the funding available for that fiscal year according to the criteria described below. Studies may not be retrospectively funded.
- The principal investigator must be an individual CHLA/ABSC member in good standing.
- Applicants must not have received a CHLA/ABSC Research Grant in the previous three calendar years.
- Voting members of the CHLA/ABSC Board of Directors may not apply for this grant while serving their term on the Board.
- Special consideration will be given to research projects which:
- are being conducted by hospital or special librarians.
- represent collaborative research initiatives between academic and hospital or special librarians.
- Are relevant to rural and remote libraries/librarians
: The following expenditures are generally outside
the scope of the CHLA/ABSC Research Grant:
- Capital purchases of equipment or software
- Research projects which align with the vision and mission of the CHLA/ABSC
- Research projects which fill a gap in the health sciences librarianship literature
- Relevance of the proposed research project to the field of health sciences librarianship
- Availability of funding from other sources
- Quality of research design and evaluation methodology
- Ability of the research project leader to successfully complete the proposed project
- Dissemination strategies for the proposed research project
- Relevance to rural and remote libraries and/or librarians (considered, but not required)
Procedure for Application
Applications for funds must be submitted using the online application form
. Applications can be submitted by March 1, 2020.
Submissions are subject to peer review. To ensure a blinded review, do not include the author’s name or institution or any individually identifiable information anywhere in the manuscript. Manuscripts that do not
meet this requirement will not
Applicants will be notified of the disposition of their application shortly following the Board meeting at which the application is considered.
- Recipients of funds will be required to submit a written report to the CHLA/ABSC President one month prior to each Board meeting during the life of the project, as well as to give a brief presentation, no more than three minutes in length, at the CHLA/ABSC Annual General Meeting at the annual conference.
- Within two months of completion of the project, a final report, including an evaluation of its success, a final budget statement, and a project summary suitable for posting to the CHLA/ABSC website and in the JCHLA should be submitted to the CHLA/ABSC President.
- Unused portions of funds provided through the CHLA/ABSC Research Grant must be returned to the Association upon completion of the project for which the funding was supplied. If the research project is discontinued for any reason, the unused funds must be returned to the Association. Once awarded, any changes to the budget plan must be pre-approved by the Board of Directors.
- The Association’s financial support through the CHLA/ABSC Research Grant should be acknowledged in all written and oral presentations of the research.