Professional Development Grant
The amount of a Professional Development Grant shall be a maximum of $400/recipient (October 2013, Calgary, 10.2). The total budget available for each fiscal year shall be set by the Board of Directors at its annual Fall Meeting.
The Board shall form a committee consisting of the Continuing Education (CE) Co-ordinator, Past-President and Treasurer. The committee will review all applications and make grants at its discretion on behalf of the Board.
- Applicant must be a current CHLA/ABSC member.
- Applicant must not have received a CHLA/ABSC Professional Development Grant in the previous five calendar years.
- Members of the CHLA/ABSC Board are not eligible for the grant.
- A maximum of two individuals may apply under an institutional membership.
- While attending a conference is a form of professional development, this grant was intended to cover the cost of a specific course or workshop identified as a continuing education event.
- The grant may be awarded for direct costs of continuing education opportunities scheduled in conjunction with CHLA/ABSC or MLA conferences, but not for registration and other costs associated with attending those conferences.
- Whether the activity is an accredited CHLA/ABSC or MLA continuing education activity.
- Availability of funding from other sources for the requester to attend professional development activities.
- Availability of relevant professional development activities in the applicant's geographic region.
- Relevance of the professional development activity to the improvement of health and health care by promoting excellence in access to information.
Procedure for Application
Applicants must complete the application form
Applications for grants must be sent to CE Co-ordinator. Applications can be submitted at any time
and will be considered at the Board meetings normally held in February, October, and May/June. To ensure timely review of applications, it is recommended that they be submitted no later than the first day of the month(s) in which the Board meetings are held.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application within one month of receipt of the application by the CE Co-ordinator. All enquiries and correspondence concerning the grant should be directed to the CHLA/ABSC CE Co-ordinator and copied to the Past-President.
- If the recipient of a grant is unable to attend the funded professional development activity, or the activity is cancelled, the amount of the grant must be returned to the Association.
- Within four weeks of the completion of the activity, recipients of the grant must submit to the Continuing Education Co-ordinator a brief report on the activity and its benefit.